Saturday, May 2, 2009

District 9 trailer

Something I didn't expect to see when I went to check the Apple Trailers website today was this film - District 9. I had no idea that this was even in production. I have to say that I'm pretty excited. The film is directed by Neil Blomkamp, a young director that I have been a big fan of for some time. Blomkamp is probably best known for his work in advertising (You might have seen his dancing Citroen C4 transformer) but it's his short films that caught my attention a while back. District 9 is a feature length version of his Alive in Joburg short, mini fake doco about aliens living as second-class citizens in Johannesburg, South Africa. It mixed camcorder footage with photo-realistic 3D effects way before JJ Abrams' Cloverfield was conceptualised. This was a technique that went on to become a signature of his work. It's one of the best examples of how the limitations of your equipment can be turned around to be an advantage.

Check out Distict 9 trailer below:




And "Alive in Joburg":



Yellow:



And the Halo shorts:

No comments: